The Corporation will be pivotal in progressing the broader interests of approximately 300 Yinhawangka adults, plus associated children who reside in the majority of the broader Pilbara region, and in representing the Yinhawangka people in their dealings with government and private industry in general.
YAC very recently achieved prescribed body corporate (PBC) status to hold native title for the benefit of the Yinhawangka people.
Type of vacancy:
Salary and conditions:
Plus house, car and other allowances
We are seeking a passionate and outcomes-driven CEO to join YAC at a pivotal time in its growth and further establishment. This includes the expanding ranger unit and the construction of a substantial YAC office in the new year. The longer-term ambition of the community is to develop their own people towards self-determination and roles in management and leadership. Teaching, coaching and sharing knowledge is part of the incoming CEO's role.
The role is a 2-year term, with 2-year extension possible by agreement and will include the following duties
- Provide strategic direction, leadership and management of YAC in order to maximise the realisation of the ancestor family groups' vision, values and strategic goals.
- Lead a small but focused team of professional managers and staff, characterised by its constructive, collaborative and innovative culture. Current direct reports include Operations Manager, Office Manager and soon to be added Ranger Unit—anticipated to be 12 staff in total across all of YAC.
- Be ultimately responsible for the commercial, occupational health and safety aspects of YAC as well as the legal obligations associated with being a PBC.
- Oversee the construction of the $4M office to commence mid 2018.
- Secure and manage the MJT&W peoples' native title rights and interests and the corporation's human, physical and financial resources, and ensure that the MJT&W peoples' culture and heritage are recorded, protected and shared in the community.
- Provide advice to the respective boards of directors on strategic positioning, economic development opportunities and managing the PBC.
- Engage with MJT&W community and all other stakeholders.
- Negotiate and represent YAC with all stakeholders whilst maintaining strong long-term positive relationships.
- Implement recent trust review recommendations.
The ideal candidate:
- has previous Indigenous working experience as a leader, stakeholder or community member
- has previous history of guiding a PBC from determination to visible and concrete benefits for the community
- has an advanced leadership and influencing style to accommodate different cultures, personalities and contexts which ensure interpersonal relationships are positive and long-term focused
- has advanced communication skills to match context and audience
- learns, understands and respects MJT&W people's lore and culture
- has tertiary qualifications appropriate to the role
- has advanced financial literacy as well as the ability to translate and add meaning for those without the same level of financial literacy
- has commercial acumen
- demonstrates a history of making sound decisions and has strong skills in strategic, operational and financial management to identify, plan and execute strategic activities
- demonstrates a history of creating strategy and implementing it via an engaging and compelling leadership style
- is skilled in mediation, conflict resolution and negotiation.
Contact person and how to apply:
Meelup Management is partnering with the YAC board to conduct the selection process and can ensure privacy and confidentiality to all enquiries from local, interstate and overseas candidates.
Please send your résumé along with a cover letter outlining your specific qualifications, relevant experience and why you believe you are ideally suited to this opportunity, to firstname.lastname@example.org or call +61(0)418 914 862 for a confidential discussion on your suitability for this role.
The closing date for applications is COB Thursday 14 September, however we encourage interested candidates to express interest prior to this date.