NORTH AUSTRALIAN ABORIGINAL FAMILY LEGAL SERVICE – ABORIGINAL CORPORATION
The North Australian Aboriginal Family Legal Service - Aboriginal Corporation (NAAFLS) is a government-funded Aboriginal organisation and National Association of Community Legal Centres accredited community legal service.
We provide professional, comprehensive and culturally safe assistance and advice to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people living in remote Top End communities, and in particular, those who have been exposed to domestic and family violence and sexual assault.
NAAFLS is based in Darwin and Katherine and provides an outreach visiting service to 44 communities in the Top End, including Wadeye, Borroloola, Lajamanu, Kalkarindji, Maningrida, Nhulunbuy, Galiwinku, Milikapiti, Wurrumiyanga, Pirlangimpi, Angurugu, Alyangula, Numbulwar, Milyakburra, Jabiru, Oenpelli, Nauiyu, Yarralin, Timber Creek, Amanbidji, Ngukurr, Minyerri, Barunga, Beswick, Belyuen, Adelaide River and Pine Creek.
The primary focus of NAAFLS is to provide culturally appropriate assistance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander adults and children who are victims of domestic and family violence, including sexual abuse. NAAFLS works in accordance to the Family Violence Prevention Legal Services 'Operational Framework'. Services available to clients include:
- Legal advice and casework assistance in areas relating to domestic and family violence, care and protection of children, victims of crime compensation, family law, wills, superannuation, housing and debt management.
- Information support and referral services.
- Community legal education.
- Prevention of family violence initiatives.
- Law reform.
- Trauma informed counselling.
- Project officer roles
Type of vacancy:
Salary and conditions:
salary packaging is offered
NAAFLS is seeking an enthusiastic and self-motivated person to join a challenging work environment. You will deal with a wide range of stakeholders across the public and private sectors and draw upon strong communication and people skills to achieve desired objectives.
The key responsibilities of the job are to:
- Apply theoretical knowledge of trauma and/or crisis interventions in the provision of counselling demonstrating an ability to assess for and manage trauma appropriately.
- Provide individual and family counselling services including administering client appointments, conduct client assessment and intake of client needs.
- Participate in advocacy activities on behalf of the client group.
- Use brokerage funds appropriately to ensure individuals and families have access to specialist services not provided by the program, including referral of clients to external therapeutic services as necessary.
- Implement a case management approach in the provision of service to the target group.
Contact person and how to apply:
For more information you can contact Paul Dawson, Corporate Services Manager on 08 8923 8200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for the position you need to send a copy of your resume/curriculum vitae and a document addressing how you meet the position-specific and generic selection criteria to:
Post: PO Box 43104, Casuarina NT 0811
In person: 32 Dripstone Road, Casuarina NT 0810
Fax: 08 8927 5942