The North Australian Aboriginal Family Legal Service - Aboriginal Corporation (NAAFLS) is a government-funded Aboriginal organisation and National Association of Community Legal Centres accredited community legal service.
We provide professional, comprehensive and culturally safe assistance and advice to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people living in remote Top End communities, and in particular, those who have been exposed to domestic and family violence and sexual assault.
NAAFLS is based in Darwin and Katherine and provides an outreach visiting service to 44 communities in the Top End, including Wadeye, Borroloola, Lajamanu, Kalkarindji, Maningrida, Nhulunbuy, Galiwinku, Milikapiti, Wurrumiyanga, Pirlangimpi, Angurugu, Alyangula, Numbulwar, Milyakburra, Jabiru, Oenpelli, Nauiyu, Yarralin, Timber Creek, Amanbidji, Ngukurr, Minyerri, Barunga, Beswick, Belyuen, Adelaide River and Pine Creek.
The primary focus of NAAFLS is to provide culturally appropriate assistance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander adults and children who are victims of domestic and family violence, including sexual abuse. NAAFLS works in accordance to the Family Violence Prevention Legal Services 'Operational Framework'. Services available to clients include:
- Legal advice and casework assistance in areas relating to domestic and family violence, care and protection of children, victims of crime compensation, family law, wills, superannuation, housing and debt management.
- Information support and referral services.
- Community legal education.
- Prevention of family violence initiatives.
- Law reform.
- Trauma informed counselling.
- Project officer roles
Type of vacancy:
Salary and conditions:
- NT SCHCADS award
- Salary packaging is available.
- A relocation allowance can be negotiated for the right candidate.
NAAFLS is seeking an enthusiastic and self-motivated person to join a challenging work environment. You will deal with a wide range of stakeholders across the public and private sectors and draw upon strong communication and people skills to achieve desired objectives.
For details of the duties and selection criteria, download the position description.