The North Australian Aboriginal Family Legal Service - Aboriginal Corporation (NAAFLS) is a government-funded Aboriginal organisation and National Association of Community Legal Centres accredited community legal service.
We provide professional, comprehensive and culturally safe assistance and advice to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people living in remote Top End communities, and in particular, those who have been exposed to domestic and family violence and sexual assault.
NAAFLS is based in Darwin and Katherine and provides an outreach visiting service to 44 communities in the Top End, including Wadeye, Borroloola, Lajamanu, Kalkarindji, Maningrida, Nhulunbuy, Galiwinku, Milikapiti, Wurrumiyanga, Pirlangimpi, Angurugu, Alyangula, Numbulwar, Milyakburra, Jabiru, Oenpelli, Nauiyu, Yarralin, Timber Creek, Amanbidji, Ngukurr, Minyerri, Barunga, Beswick, Belyuen, Adelaide River and Pine Creek.
The primary focus of NAAFLS is to provide culturally appropriate assistance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander adults and children who are victims of domestic and family violence, including sexual abuse. NAAFLS works in accordance to the Family Violence Prevention Legal Services 'Operational Framework'. Services available to clients include:
- Legal advice and casework assistance in areas relating to domestic and family violence, care and protection of children, victims of crime compensation, family law, wills, superannuation, housing and debt management.
- Information support and referral services.
- Community legal education.
- Prevention of family violence initiatives.
- Law reform.
- Trauma informed counselling.
- Corporate business support
Type of vacancy:
Salary and conditions:
- Salary packaging is available.
- A relocation allowance can be negotiated for the right candidate.
- Provide quality legal advice, representation and referral to Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander clients on legal matter consistent with the operational framework.
- Consult and support Community initiatives to reduce the incidence of family violence in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Community.
- In conjunction with other staff develop and provide educational programs regarding family violence and related issues, to deliver at schools, community and special interest groups, including workshops, informal talks, publications and pamphlets.
- Assisting in management of legal practice management including supervision of any other Solicitor working within the unit, without an unrestricted practicing certificate.
- In conjunction with the Principal Lawyer and the CEO, undertake law reform: cooperate with other Family Violence Prevention Legal Services, community legal centres and legal and community agencies in research and lobbying. Initiate research and test cases based on NAAFLS work, research and write submissions and research papers on issues, participate in campaigns on issues (includes media work).
- Deal with complaints and grievances in relation to the legal practice of NAAFLS in accordance with policy, in conjunction with the Principal Lawyer and the CEO.
For more information, download the position description.
Contact person and how to apply:
Paul Dawson, phone: (08) 8923 8200, email: email@example.com