Canberra Community Law (formerly Welfare Rights and Legal Centre) is a community legal centre providing legal services to people on low incomes or facing other disadvantage in Canberra and its region.
Dhurrawang Aboriginal Human Rights is a program of Canberra Community Law (CCL) and provides services in housing, social security and race discrimination law to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities in Canberra.
Our program is culturally competent and informed by the human rights principles of participation, inclusion and self-determination. We assist clients to access housing, social security, and challenge race discrimination through a culturally informed practice that ulitises human rights laws and principles in advocacy, law reform and community education.
- Business support
Type of vacancy:
Salary and conditions:
The position is classified at Level 6 of CCL’s salary scale.
A three month probabtionary period applies.
We are seeking an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander lawyer to work alongside the Dhurrawang supervising solicitor/program manager.
Key aspects of this role include:
- working as a member of Dhurrawang’s team to provide advice and casework assistance to Aboriginal and Torres Islander communities in the ACT; and
- undertaking outreach, community legal education and law reform work utilizing a human rights framework.
This position is opened to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people (mandatory requirement). Canberra Community Law considers that being an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander is a genuine occupational requirement for this position under subsection 42(b) of the Discrimination Act 1991 (ACT).
The duties and responsibilities of the position include;
- providing advice and ongoing casework assistance to communities in Canberra in accordance with CCL’s policies;
- ensuring accurate collection of client data and service provision
- carrying a casework load and representing clients in Tribunal/Court matters;
- identifying advice and advocacy needs of Aboriginal and Torres Islander communities in Canberra;
- undertaking outreach, community legal education and community development activities;
- travel as required;
- attending stakeholder forums and liaising with community organisations as required;
- working on law reform and community development projects as required;
- undertaking administrative tasks as necessary;
- other duties as reasonably directed by CCLs Executive Director or Dhurrawang’s Supervising Solicitor/Program Manager as required from time to time.
Contact person and how to apply:
Note: This is an identified position, open to applications from persons who are Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islanders.
Applications should be addressed to Parastou Hatami, Supervising solicitor/Program manager, Dhurrawang Aboriginal Human Rights Program, Canberra Community Law and should include a cover letter, resume and statement addressing the selection criteria. Applications which do not address the selection criteria will not be considered. Applications should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any queries regarding the position, please contact Parastou Hatami on (02) 6218 7900.